How To Make Cannabis Ice Cream
Let’s face it: almost everyone likes ice cream. It’s fantastic on a Summer’s day as a tasty treat, and a great addition to a warm piece of pie in the Winter. So, it’s not surprising that when people think about edibles, ice cream is a thought that easily crosses their minds.
The idea of combining your favourite cannabis strains with ice cream probably seems like a dream. But what if we told you it’s completely possible? If anything, more people should give it a try.
Ice cream works as a great receptacle for cannabis. And we’ll show you how…
Why make cannabis ice cream?
Well, if you like ice cream and you like cannabis edibles, then that’s all the answer you need. It’s a great combination, especially when you have the “munchies”.
If you’re not an edible fan, then it’s likely that you’re a bit more skeptical. But trust us – cannabis ice cream is not one to miss out on. It’s refreshing, relaxing, and the perfect treat when you’re in the mood. Heck, even Ben and Jerry’s have dipped their toes into the CBD ice cream market.
Ice cream is great for special occasions, presenting an easy way to impress guests and achieve that well-earned high in the process. And it will most certainly last, too. Just remember not to go back for seconds until you’ve given the cannabis time to work its magic. Edibles can take a little longer to kick in.
How to make cannabis ice cream
There’s a lot of recipes out there for cannabis ice cream. Some involve cannabutter, while others encourage the use of cannabis-infused oil. We’ll touch on these later. Our preferred recipe involves something a little more complex, but definitely worth it.
We’ll be using cannabis-infused whipping cream.
But how do you make it?
Cannabis-infused whipping cream
- Decarboxylate your cannabis
- Combine some heavy cream and cannabis in a small saucepan and bring to boil
- Simmer for 30 – 45 minutes (or up to 2 hours for a more intense infusion)
- Stir frequently to prevent burning
- Strain and chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours
This method should provide a smooth cannabis-infused cream, ready for whipping.
Now for the good bit…
Cannabis ice cream – ingredients
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cannabis infused heavy whipping cream
Add ½ cup of cocoa powder or any additional flavourings you like if you’re feeling adventurous. We’ll be sticking with vanilla.
Cannabis ice cream – method
- Whisk together the condensed milk, vanilla, and salt in a bowl
- In a separate, chilled bowl, whip the cream with a mixer on medium-high speed until firm peaks form
- With a spatula, fold 1 cup of the newly whipped cream into rest of the mixture until combined
- Fold the combined mixture back into the remaining whipped cream until fully incorporated
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and freeze
After around 3 hours, your ice cream will be good to go! If you want to customize your experience, then add your own toppings and enjoy!
Remember, this ice cream also pairs well with traditional warm deserts.
Cannabutter ice cream
As mentioned, cannabutter is another fantastic and easy way to make cannabis ice cream. So, if you find yourself with excess, here’s another recipe to consider…
Cannabutter Ice Cream – Ingredients:
- 10g finely ground bud
- 2tbsp butter
- 500ml heavy cream
- 400g banana
- 75g sugar or sweetener
- 5 tbsp honey
- And rum (optional)
The ground cannabis and butter can be substituted for cannabutter. If you’re looking for a little extra flavour, then substitute the ingredients with your favourites!
Cannabutter Ice Cream – Method:
- Add the cream to a saucepan and bring to simmer
- In a separate saucepan, add your butter, sugar, and salt on medium heart (remember to stir!)
- When melted, add your decarboxylated weed and stir evenly into the butter, sugar, and salt mixture (skip this if you’re using cannabutter)
- Whisk the warmed cream into the butter mixture
- In a large bowl, mash the banana into a paste and add the cream mixture, honey, and rum into the bowl
- Mix everything together until combined
- Put the mixture in a suitable container and the freezer for at least 3 hours
Just as easy to do at home… And all that’s left is to enjoy your cannabutter ice cream!
There are plenty of other recipes out there, so get inventive and shop around. You’ll be sure to find one that tickles your tastebuds.
Storing your cannabis ice cream
The hardest part of cannabis ice cream is figuring out how to store it. Luckily, we have some tried and tested methods to help. Ice cream is very quick to melt, so the best (and only) option is to freeze it.
You’ll want to ensure that you have an airtight container on hand. When filling this container, make sure to leave some breathing space as well – this makes it easier to open! Before you store the ice cream, it’s a good idea to write the date on it. This is good practice for all edibles you make at home.
With proper storage, you ice cream should be fine for consumption for at least 2 – 3 months. But we won’t tell if you clean it out before then…
Enjoy yourself and remember to avoid the brain freeze!